A Sheffield MP has expressed his anger after a well-known pub was demolished without planning permission

The Royal Oak in Mosborough which was the start point of the famous ‘Mosborough 10’ a charity pub crawl, was torn down last Saturday after being a familiar sight on the High Street for many years.

However, Labour MP for Sheffield South East, Clive Betts posted in the local Mosborough community group on Monday about the authority for the destruction of the pub.

Betts said: “I am aware that early morning last Saturday, the Royal Oak public house in Mosborough was demolished.

“Cllr Tony Down and I have contacted the planning department at Sheffield City Council, as I believe that planning permission was required to demolish the building.

“We are now investigating the issue and trying to ascertain whether planning permission was in fact required and whether it was granted for this case.

“I will keep you informed of the outcome of this investigation.”

Its doors have been shut since October last year after a chemical spillage in its car park which also affected neighbouring properties.

Sheffield City Council, South Yorkshire Police and the Environmental Agency all investigated the nature of the spill with some concerns of the infection getting into the local water supply, but Severn Trent and the Environment Agency have said it has not affected drinking water.

But it did mean that on October 15 last year that the Royal Oak announced their closure saying: “We are unsure at this point how long this is for but due to a health and safety/chemical spill it is unsafe to open at this point.”

Betts gave an update on the page on Wednesday: “I have now received an update from Sheffield City Council. They have confirmed that planning permission was needed, and that it was not applied fir in this specific case.

“My view is that we should now require those responsible to put in a planning application.

“This application should be treated in the same manner that it would have done before the demolition took place.

“This means that there should be no special treatment simply because it’s already happened.

“If the application is rejected additional steps can be taken to do something about this.

“Moreover, I strongly believe that the views of the local community must be taken into account when the planning application is being considered.

“I am aware that there is strong opinion within this group, and that should vibe in the decision of any application.”

Following this call for the locals public opinion, people made their thoughts known in the comments.

Jodi Tyler said on the Facebook post: “Agree it should never have been knocked down but that pub is a eye sore it’s brought nothing but drugs and fighting too it.”

Kim Sargant-Eastwood also put: “Make them rebuild it brick by brick”

Robin Hazelwood further added: “The people who carried this demolition out need to be brought to justice. Otherwise it will happen again elsewhere.

“The only reason they have to short cut the process was to make a quick buck. No interest in the community.”

Then earlier today, Betts put up more information: “Yesterday Councillor Tony Downing and I visited the site of the Royal Oak demolition.

“There is rubble and debris all over the place and it simply isn’t acceptable.

“The site needs to be tidied and secured as a matter of urgency.

“I understand from the City Council’s Planning Department that there is a requirement to have planning permission to demolish a pub, no planning permission was sought let alone given.

“They are now having to put in a planning application, and it should be treated the same as it would have done pre-demolition.

“I will continue to post further updates when I receive them.”

There is still some doubt who owned the pub and the land as well as who demolished the property.

With the future of the land and the Royal Oak up in the air, it is not known what the plans are for the area at this stage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.